Need is one of the most fundamental constructs connected to different dimensions of Human-awareness, Accountability, Lawfulness, and Ethicality (HALE) of sociotechnical systems. This construct, however, has not been well considered in the design, development, evaluation and sustaining of the AI-based sociotechnical systems. In our new article , we call for the realization of “Needs-aware AI” through interdisciplinary collaborations.
- Watkins, R., Human, S. Needs-aware artificial intelligence: AI that ‘serves [human] needs’. AI Ethics (2022). https://doi.org/10.1007/s43681-022-00181-5
- Lee, K.-F., OReilly, T.: Meet the Expert: How AI Will Change Our World by 2041. OReilly Media, Inc. (2021).
- Shneiderman, B.: Design lessons from ai’s two grand goals: human emulation and useful applications. IEEE Trans. Technol. Soc. 1(2), 73–82 (2020).
- Shneiderman, B.: Human-Centered AI. Oxford University Press, Oxford (2022).
- Human, S., Fahrenbach, F., Kragulj, F., Savenkov, V.: Ontology for representing human needs. In: Różewski, P., Lange, C. (eds.) Knowledge engineering and semantic web communications in computer and information science, pp. 195–210. Springer International Publishing, Cham (2017)
- OECD Report: Regulation, alternatives traditional. https://www.oecd.org/gov/regulatory-policy/42245468.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2022
- Human, S., Gsenger, R., Neumann, G.: End-user empowerment: An interdisciplinary perspective. In: Proceedings of the 53rd Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii, United States, pp. 4102–4111 (2020)
- Human, S., Watkins, R.: Needs and Artificial Intelligence. arXiv (arXiv:2202.04977[cs.AI]) (2022). https://doi.org/10.48550/arXiv.2202.04977
- Watkins, R., Meiers, M.W., Visser, Y.: A guide to assessing needs: essential tools for collecting information, making decisions, and achieving development results. World Bank Publications (2012)
- McLeod, S.K.: Knowledge of need. Int. J. Philos. Stud. 19(2), 211–230 (2011)